Tips for winterization of your caravan
If you are returning your caravan to storage over the winter period, the following tips will help ensure no unpleasant surprises when you are ready to start holidaying next year!
- Arrange an annual service and/or habitation check if due prior to using next year.
- Drain all onboard and external water tanks, open the safety drain valve (next to water heater, yellow handle), leave open.
- Fully open all taps including the shower mixer, shake out any water in the shower hose by unscrewing the shower head and allowing to drain.
- Run the water pump until all water has emptied. Disconnect the inlet pipe to the onboard water pump, mesh filter and outlet pipe, and re-run the pump for a short time to make sure all water is removed. Leave the system disconnected during storage. Use sterilising fluid to clean waste pipe and tanks.
- Charge your leisure battery for 24 hours prior to placing the caravan in storage.
- Where fitted, make sure the isolation button on the PSU is in the OFF position
- If you have an alarm or tracker fitted make sure the leisure battery is connected and a 20A local fuse is in place.
- The alarm will, in time, drain the leisure battery. Winter temperatures may not affect the level of charge, however to maximise the life span of the battery regular charging is suggested. To avoid this, we offer a Battery Charging Service – please enquire
- If no alarm is fitted, remove the battery and store in a dry place.
- The gas system supply should be isolated at the bottle and the gas manifold taps must be switched off (a condition mentioned in our storage contract). Replace the high-pressure gas hose and regulator if required
- Check the battery on the smoke alarm and replace if necessary.
- Clean inside the fridge, turn it off and prop open the internal freezer and fridge door for ventilation if possible
- Drain the toilet reservoir, empty the cassette. Empty and drain the toilet fresh water tank. Grease toilet all seals with Vaseline.
- Secure all windows, skylights and access doors.
- Clean all fixed ventilation points.
- Open internal doors/lockers for ventilation, store cushions, bedding in a dry place.
- Close blinds/curtains, however, if stored for a long period check the tension on blinds.
- To reduce mould/moisture place water absorbing crystals in locations where they will not fall over if the caravan is moved.